Today, I am going to share my DIY Cork Family Map art project that is found in a shadow box frame on our gallery wall. I wanted to add something a bit more three dimensional to create some visual texture. I found a map online and added sewing pins to the cities where we have family. I also added one on our favorite Vale vacation spot, Topsail, North Carolina. It has also been a simple way to teach Little G about her out-of-town relatives!
I have mentioned on this site that I am a designer, not a DIYer. I LOVE DIY projects, I just do not do them. (Hate having to store left over supplies!) So I searched Pinterest for an easy DIY that I could make that would be quick and easy. There were a lot of different variations and executions of map artwork. My variation was super simple and I love the result.
1. Remove frame back. Measure and trim cork to fit the inside of your shadow box frame. (I found the cork in the office section at Target in roll form). Double stick tape or spray mount it to the provided matte.
2. Print or use existing map (state, national, country, or global). (Google is your best friend!)
3. Decide what your map will showcase (family homes, favorite trip, where you were engaged/married, etc)
4. Add pins and seal up shadow box frame
5. Hang and enjoy every moment you walk past your wall!